Holistic weight loss requires a multidimensional approach since obesity is a growing issue for many health-related and aesthetic reasons in our country. There is no miracle cure for weight gain, but there is help. The causes of obesity are different for everyone. Genetics play a part in the equation, as well as overeating. Some other reasons are hormonal imbalances, slowed metabolism, poor nutrition, emotional eating and also lack of exercise. Your chances of success grow when you utilize more tools for holistic weight loss.
Tool #1: Acupuncture
Acupuncture has been around for thousands of years to promote healing and balance in the body. It affects all functions and organ systems in the body.
Firsty, let’s recap some common acupuncture benefits, such as:
- It regulates metabolism by stimulating thyroid and endocrine functions that may be slowing metabolism.
- Acupuncture controls the obesity hormones that control fat storage and meal initiation.
- It improves digestion and addresses symptoms of gas, bloating, acid reflux and other chronic symptoms. These indicate a digestive system that is out of balance, contributing to malabsorption of nutrients.
- Acupuncture addresses underlying emotional issues that trigger eating for comfort. It releases endorphins which counteract stress, anxiety, frustration and even boredom which contribute to overeating.
- It cleanses the body of toxins that build up over time with excess weight causing fatigue and depression. These can trigger the vicious cycle of comfort eating even further.
- Acupuncture heals aches and pains from injuries and chronic pain syndromes that interfere with exercise.
Tool #2: Auricular Acupuncture
Next, let’s look at the effects of auricular acupuncture. Acupuncture can triple success rates in addiction programs by using ear points, according to recent studies. A tiny tack covered with adhesive stimulates points in the ear relating to digestion, relaxation, circulation, appetite and craving control. These ear tacks (staples) stay on for several days and give support in between treatments.
Tool #3: BioMedical Injectables
Individual health goals are targeted by using all-natural and herbal solutions. These holistic mixtures are injected into specific acupuncture points in order to help reduce sugar and carbohydrate cravings, digestive imbalances and emotional stressors.
Next, let’s look at a few of the more common injectable vitamins used as part of a holistic weight loss plan, like:
- B12 is a popular and well known vitamin that increases energy and metabolism, and boosts the immune system.
- MIC (Metianine, Insotal & Choline) is a natural lipotropic that helps the body burn stored fat.
- L-Cartinine aids in maintaining muscle mass.
- Insitol Choline stabilizes blood sugar.
- B Complex reverses negative side effects of stress, increases energy and metabolism.
- Homeopathics help the body eliminate toxins and heals muscle pain and injuries that interfere with exercise.
Tool #4: Chinese Herbal Medicine
Underlying imbalances and deficiencies in the body directly affect overall health and organ function. These affect energy, metabolism, fat storage, hormonal balance and levels of toxic build up. Our bodies are all different, so the types of imbalances vary depending on the individual.
Next up, a few examples that indicate opportunities for holistic weight loss, such as:
- Firstly, Chinese medicine tells us the Spleen is responsible for digestion. A weak Spleen causes an underlying deficiency that leads to sugar and carbohydrate cravings because there is not enough digestive fire to break down more complex food.
- Secondly, disharmony in the Liver causes an irregular metabolism, improperly processes fats, builds up toxins and leads to compulsive eating.
- Thirdly, imbalanced Lungs slow circulation, control oxygen levels in the blood and affect overall energy.
Tool #5: Don’t Diet
It is crucial to find the right food and exercise plan for you. Not everyone was meant to be on the same type of nutrition program, whether that is vegetarian, high-protein or low carbohydrates. Explore underlying health imbalances, work and personal environments to create an individual plan for holistic weight loss. Work together with your practitioner to find the best diet solution. Then you’ll begin to make the kind of progress you want to see.
In addition, you rarely hear about the importance of feeling satiated. However, it’s completely possible to feel totally satiated and still lose weight. Many diets focus on cutting out foods instead of adding foods. As a result we end up with a deprivation mindset.
Work with your brain by choosing foods to add to your diet, thus avoiding the deprivation mindset. This is crucial because when we go into the deprivation mindset the Lymbic System is stimulated. It controls our emotional life and endocrine system. The Lymbic System interprets deprivation as famine so it tells the body to stop making enzymes that burn fat and to start making enzymes to store fat. This especially relevant to women in particular because their bodies work to counteract famine for two. Therefore the effect is multiplied.
Tool #6: Five Veggies to Beat Belly Fat
Finally, eating 10 grams of soluble fiber a day has been shown to decrease belly fat. Eating 14 grams of total fiber is recommended for every 1000 calories in your diet. Here are a few noteworthy examples:
- Apples: 1 large apple has 5 grams total fiber; 2 grams soluble fiber.
- Avocado: 1 medium avocado has 10 grams of total fiber; 5 grams of soluble fiber.
- Green Beans: 1 cup of green beans has 9 grams of total fiber; 3 grams of soluble fiber.
- Carrots: 1 cup of carrots has 8 grams total fiber; 3 grams of soluble fiber.
- Spinach: 1 cup raw fresh spinach has 7 grams of total fiber; 2 grams soluble fiber.
Obesity is a multidimensional issue that affects individuals and society in surprising ways. Therefore, individual approaches to holistic weight loss address underlying factors efficiently and successfully. These tools will help people steadily attain better health.
Healthy Guacamole Recipe (adapted from “Cooking with Qi”, by Jeff Primack)
Total Prep Time: 10 minutes
Number of Servings: 4
6 Haas avocados
24 sprigs of cilantro, chopped
½ cup onions, diced
1 tomato, diced
¾ teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon lime juice
¾ teaspoon sea salt
Peel avocado, remove the seed and put in big bowl. Cut avocado into chunks. Add other ingredients and mix well.
Serve over fresh spinach with slivered carrots for a yummy fat-fighting super food. The fat in avocado won’t make you fat!
Create an individual holistic weight loss plan by calling Dr. Ashley Hoyt at the Key West Wellness Center at 305-296-5358.